Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Dec 2 01:55:51 PST 2010

Steve Morris wrote:

>>> I have previously tried these branches and the first one had the same
>>> problem as the native Mandriva 1.3.1 which if I remember correctly was
>>> an xml failure (I think it complained the compressed xml file was not
>>> valid), and the 2nd, as I have already reported, in my view was
>>> horrendous. When doing a channel sync it downloaded the synthesis file
>>> for every mirror specified in the mirror list and displayed its progress
>>> bar at well past 100%.
>> Thanks for the info Steve. Anders, could you comment before I put time
>> to this that will likely yield the same result? Perhaps instead you
>> could let me have a patch that would disable this xml error checking
>> so I can verify if the problem just seems to be faulty error checking,
>> which I suspect
> If I remember correctly it was names.xml.gz that was getting the invalid
> xml file failure, but when I sent Anders a sample of the xml (I couldn't
> send the complete file because my mail system couldn't handle the
> attachment size) he confirmed that the xml supplied was valid. I was
> getting this error at the beginning of the cache load which would then
> cause smart to shutdown.

I was able to reproduce when reusing the "cache" file from the
mandriva fork of smart, which stores the *compressed* file path
for synthesis instead of the uncompressed like it is supposed to do.
Added a workaround to make it able to read info.xml.lzma as well...

error:   /var/lib/urpmi/Contrib (Official2010.1-11)/info.xml.lzma
error:   syntax error: line 1, column 0

The "right way" from a mdv packaging standpoint is probably labeling
the mdv branch as such, and deleting the "cache" when moving to trunk.
This goes also for the "Unsupported file type" bug in the mdv version:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/682248 (missing "open" method)

> The other thing I should also mention is that the urpmisync branch does
> not appear to get the xml failure before it gets the mirror sync issue.

I'll see if I am able to reproduce the urpmisync mirror issue again...
Don't seem to have a bug report about it, other than too many downloads.

All the urpmisync plugin does is copy the "mirrorurl" config while
expanding the urpmi variables like $MIRRORLIST or $RELEASE/$ARCH ?
Then it's up to the urpmi channel to make use of this mirror list*
by sorting it on proximity (based on the current timezone settings)

* e.g. http://api.mandriva.com/mirrors/basic.2010.1.x86_64.list
Not too different from how yum does it, except it's on the client.