smart gui's not displaying, updates not working, more

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Jun 1 05:52:16 PDT 2010

Smart has become dysfunctional on my system (Fedora 13) due to several
symptoms:

The program opens normally and the "Updating cache" window appears normally
for a moment

When I click on the circular arrow icon to refresh the database, the trouble
starts; what I have gotten for years is a window that shows the progress of
the repo updating process with progress bars - what I get now is nothing for a
very long time (I just timed it, it took 54 seconds); finally, the expected
window popped up with a second error message stating that "Failed acquiring
release file for ...." Clicking the "OK" button on that error message results
in a very long delay - finally, the process ends.

Clicking the "Upgrade all packages" icon yields up the expected "Change
Summary" window; clicking "OK" on that produces the "Apply marked changes
now?" dialog; clicking "Yes" produces no result - nothing. The main window
sits there, but no other activity - normally, I've gotten another window to
open that shows the progress of the downloading of the requested packages, but
that never appears...

What I've tried:
I've been through the channel lists several times and verified that the
pointers are working sites on the net for the repositories

I've re-installed the release rpms for both Fedora and rpmfusion, the only two
repositories I have configured at the moment on this machine

I've removed Smart and re-installed

Any suggestions on how I might proceed?
--
Claude Jones