smart gui's not displaying, updates not working, more

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Jun 1 07:36:24 PDT 2010

Claude Jones:

> Smart has become dysfunctional on my system (Fedora 13) due to several
> symptoms:

This sounds like the upgrade to gtk and glib, that it includes...

At least the symptom looks similar, multi-threaded updates broken.

> The program opens normally and the "Updating cache" window appears
> normally
> for a moment
>
> When I click on the circular arrow icon to refresh the database,
> the trouble
> starts; what I have gotten for years is a window that shows the
> progress of
> the repo updating process with progress bars - what I get now is
> nothing for a
> very long time (I just timed it, it took 54 seconds); finally, the
> expected
> window popped up with a second error message stating that "Failed
> acquiring
> release file for ...." Clicking the "OK" button on that error
> message results
> in a very long delay - finally, the process ends.

Presumably the window update is not showing, so that it still
downloads "behind the scenes". Error seems unrelated to that,
so you might want report that fetching error separately perhaps.
(maybe it was just a network error retrieving the repomd.xml ?)

> Clicking the "Upgrade all packages" icon yields up the expected
> "Change
> Summary" window; clicking "OK" on that produces the "Apply marked
> changes
> now?" dialog; clicking "Yes" produces no result - nothing. The main
> window
> sits there, but no other activity - normally, I've gotten another
> window to
> open that shows the progress of the downloading of the requested
> packages, but
> that never appears...

The same problem could be seen on Unity Linux, which also has a
bleeding edge GTK+ version. Haven't tried with Fedora 13 myself.

The workaround (for now) is to disable the multi-threaded GUI,
or downgrade glib to an earlier version (think 2.22 reported OK).