A problem when initialization smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Nov 8 11:58:41 PST 2010

Sriram Narayanan wrote:

>> You might want to give some more details, like versions and such.
>
> Sorry ! I'm using smart 1.3

Probably should use 1.3.1, to get the bugfixes too...

https://launchpad.net/smart/trunk/1.3.1

> I've installed from source on an opensolaris based computer. The
> install went fine.

There's an ongoing issue with pathlocks on opensolaris,
they can either be disabled or you could try the branch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/solaris/revision/858
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/345326

>> Normally you would need to use something like "sudo" for install ?
>>

> I've tried this in the sudo equivalent mode and that gives the same error
>
>>> warning: Configuration is in readonly mode!
>>

>> That does not account for the "already in use" though, but anyway.
>>
>>> warning: The Smart library is already in use by another process.

Probably something else then, possibly the locks.

Hard to tell, but you can try with --ignore-locks

>> The --data-dir only affects the smart files (i.e. /var/lib/smart),
>> the install root is set with other options: one per smart backend.
>>
>> There is one option to set the root, and one to set the pm db dir.
>> It's a bit unfortunate that they are split, but that's how it is.
>>
>> "rpm-root", "/",
>> "rpm-dbpath", "var/lib/rpm"
>>
>> "deb-root", "/",
>> "deb-admindir", "var/lib/dpkg"
>>
>> "slack-root", "/",
>> "slack-packages-dir", "var/log/packages"
>>
>> "arch-root", "/",
>> "arch-packages-dir", "var/lib/pacman"
>>

> Ok, where do I specify these ?

They are smart options, so with -o or smart option --set.

Second value above would be the defaults, if not set...

> My rpmdb is at /home/sriram/alt/var/lib/rpm
>
> I'm using rpm5

So is "/home/sriram/alt" your install root, too ?

Besides being less tested, it "should work" I think.

Running "make test" in smart is probably a good idea.

The pathlocks test proved tricky to write, however...