Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

David david.chapman at openpc-labs.net
Thu Nov 11 04:57:28 PST 2010

  With a fresh installation of Smart, either 1.3.1 or 1.4 (Mandriva
builds), when trying to add an urpmi channel it fails with the message:
"Base URL (baseurl) and Mirror List URL (mirrorurl) cannot both be
specified as fields for 'urpmi' channels," however I have only entered
information into "Base URL" and "Header List URL" nothing into "Mirror
List URL."

Has anyone seen this problem and has a solution? Perhaps it only occurs
on Mandriva 2010.1 using Mandriva builds of Smart? Could it be since
Mandriva have started linking Smart to their own mirror lists?

I have deleted both /var/lib/smart and /usr/lib/smart and retried with
freshly initialised configuration, but have same problem.

Please note however that there are also other issues that now make Smart
(1.4 at least) virtually unusable (on Fedora 13 too), being >98% cpu
utilisation during channel refresh or package download, and no progress
indication whatever, as if the Smart package has crashed but it hasn't;
if one waits long enough task completes, only visual feedback is broken.
This affects both i586 and 64 bit systems.

Note that Smart does work on Mandriva 2010.1 if using the Mandriva
supplied init script for Smart which links Smart to Mandriva's auto
mirror list - HOWEVER - Smart always crashes on startup until
reconfiguring the Mandriva channels manually. In a day or two, it's
necessary to reconfigure the channels manually again otherwise Smart
again crashes on startup. The error message escapes me right now but
Smart seems to think one or more channels is corrupt (they're not
because they still work in Mandriva's package manager).

I have been using Smart for about 5 years now in preference to the
Mandriva supplied package manager and this is the first time I have had
issues trying to configure channels or anything else. Thanks /Gustavo
and others/ who have given us Smart, for (normally) a great package manager.

If I can be of any help in sorting out these issues by providing
feedback on any bugfix patches on either Mandriva or Fedora, please let
me know. Smart is a great program and I'd love to have it working well
again as soon as possible.