Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Nov 11 05:15:34 PST 2010

11 nov 2010 kl. 13.57 skrev David:

> With a fresh installation of Smart, either 1.3.1 or 1.4 (Mandriva builds), when trying to add an urpmi channel it fails with the message: "Base URL (baseurl) and Mirror List URL (mirrorurl) cannot both be specified as fields for 'urpmi' channels," however I have only entered information into "Base URL" and "Header List URL" nothing into "Mirror List URL."

Did you try the smart "mandriva" branches (from trunk) too ?

https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/mandriva
https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/urpmisync

That is where I tried to merge things from the mandriva fork.

> Has anyone seen this problem and has a solution? Perhaps it only occurs on Mandriva 2010.1 using Mandriva builds of Smart? Could it be since Mandriva have started linking Smart to their own mirror lists?
> I have deleted both /var/lib/smart and /usr/lib/smart and retried with freshly initialised configuration, but have same problem.

Not sure how those mirror lists work, so you would need examples.

> Please note however that there are also other issues that now make Smart (1.4 at least) virtually unusable (on Fedora 13 too), being >98% cpu utilisation during channel refresh or package download, and no progress indication whatever, as if the Smart package has crashed but it hasn't; if one waits long enough task completes, only visual feedback is broken. This affects both i586 and 64 bit systems.

Sounds like glib bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/592503

Does it work OK from console ? In Qt ? With the workaround branch ?

> Note that Smart does work on Mandriva 2010.1 if using the Mandriva supplied init script for Smart which links Smart to Mandriva's auto mirror list - HOWEVER - Smart always crashes on startup until reconfiguring the Mandriva channels manually. In a day or two, it's necessary to reconfigure the channels manually again otherwise Smart again crashes on startup. The error message escapes me right now but Smart seems to think one or more channels is corrupt (they're not because they still work in Mandriva's package manager).

Hard to know, since they are using their own version of Smart...

> I have been using Smart for about 5 years now in preference to the Mandriva supplied package manager and this is the first time I have had issues trying to configure channels or anything else. Thanks Gustavo and others who have given us Smart, for (normally) a great     package manager.
>
> If I can be of any help in sorting out these issues by providing feedback on any bugfix patches on either Mandriva or Fedora, please let me know. Smart is a great program and I'd love to have it working well again as soon as possible.

If those branches above help, the idea is for them to be merged.