Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Nov 15 11:33:43 PST 2010

On 15/11/10 13:12, David wrote:

> On 15/11/10 07:25, Steve Morris wrote:
>> On 12/11/10 13:15, David wrote:
>>>   Anders, thanks for the quick response.

>>> I will look at this in the next few days and let you know.
>> I have previously tried these branches and the first one had the same
>> problem as the native Mandriva 1.3.1 which if I remember correctly was
>> an xml failure (I think it complained the compressed xml file was not
>> valid), and the 2nd, as I have already reported, in my view was
>> horrendous. When doing a channel sync it downloaded the synthesis file
>> for every mirror specified in the mirror list and displayed its progress
>> bar at well past 100%.
> Thanks for the info Steve. Anders, could you comment before I put time
> to this that will likely yield the same result? Perhaps instead you
> could let me have a patch that would disable this xml error checking
> so I can verify if the problem just seems to be faulty error checking,
> which I suspect
If I remember correctly it was names.xml.gz that was getting the invalid
xml file failure, but when I sent Anders a sample of the xml (I couldn't
send the complete file because my mail system couldn't handle the
attachment size) he confirmed that the xml supplied was valid. I was
getting this error at the beginning of the cache load which would then
cause smart to shutdown.
The other thing I should also mention is that the urpmisync branch does
not appear to get the xml failure before it gets the mirror sync issue.
>> As a side issue, where did you get the Mandriva build of 1.4 for 2010.1
>> from? The Australian mirror I am using only has 1.3.1 for both the 64
>> bit and 32 versions.
> Steve, smart 1.4 is on cooker here:
> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/mandriva/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release/

Thankyou. I didn't think  about the cooker environment. Did you run into
dependency issue with installing it under 2010.1 or are you using cooker
as well?

regards,
Steve