Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

David david.chapman at openpc-labs.net
Mon Nov 15 14:42:17 PST 2010

On 16/11/10 06:03, Steve Morris wrote:
> On 15/11/10 13:12, David wrote:

>>> I have previously tried these branches and the first one had the same
>>> problem as the native Mandriva 1.3.1 which if I remember correctly was
>>> an xml failure (I think it complained the compressed xml file was not
>>> valid), and the 2nd, as I have already reported, in my view was
>>> horrendous. When doing a channel sync it downloaded the synthesis file
>>> for every mirror specified in the mirror list and displayed its progress
>>> bar at well past 100%.
>> Thanks for the info Steve. Anders, could you comment before I put time
>> to this that will likely yield the same result? Perhaps instead you
>> could let me have a patch that would disable this xml error checking
>> so I can verify if the problem just seems to be faulty error checking,
>> which I suspect
> If I remember correctly it was names.xml.gz that was getting the invalid
> xml file failure, but when I sent Anders a sample of the xml (I couldn't
> send the complete file because my mail system couldn't handle the
> attachment size) he confirmed that the xml supplied was valid. I was
> getting this error at the beginning of the cache load which would then
> cause smart to shutdown.
That's the exact same symptoms I had. I'm presuming (maybe dangerous)
the xml is valid because Mandriva's software management package doesn't
fail. The other thing that seems a bit odd, if you disable mirror media
one by one using Mandriva's Configure Media Sources package, usually
only one media source is causing the issue which can be worked around by
re-adding the same media from a different mirror. If you do that, Smart
works for a while (days) before the same issue crops up again.
> The other thing I should also mention is that the urpmisync branch does
> not appear to get the xml failure before it gets the mirror sync issue.
What's then sync issue - don't recall that happening?
>>> As a side issue, where did you get the Mandriva build of 1.4 for 2010.1
>>> from? The Australian mirror I am using only has 1.3.1 for both the 64
>>> bit and 32 versions.
>> Steve, smart 1.4 is on cooker here:
>> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/mandriva/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release/
>>
> Thankyou. I didn't think  about the cooker environment. Did you run into
> dependency issue with installing it under 2010.1 or are you using cooker
> as well?
I'm not using cooker, it works with 2010.1 but with the lack of progress
indicator issues I mentioned, which also happens on Fedora 13.

cheers, David