Can't add urpmi channel in Mandriva 2010.1 with Smart 1.3.1 or 1.4, AND >98% CPU load

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Nov 16 11:45:07 PST 2010

On 16/11/10 09:42, David wrote:

> On 16/11/10 06:03, Steve Morris wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info Steve. Anders, could you comment before I put time
>>> to this that will likely yield the same result? Perhaps instead you
>>> could let me have a patch that would disable this xml error checking
>>> so I can verify if the problem just seems to be faulty error checking,
>>> which I suspect
>> If I remember correctly it was names.xml.gz that was getting the invalid
>> xml file failure, but when I sent Anders a sample of the xml (I couldn't
>> send the complete file because my mail system couldn't handle the
>> attachment size) he confirmed that the xml supplied was valid. I was
>> getting this error at the beginning of the cache load which would then
>> cause smart to shutdown.
> That's the exact same symptoms I had. I'm presuming (maybe dangerous)
> the xml is valid because Mandriva's software management package
> doesn't fail. The other thing that seems a bit odd, if you disable
> mirror media one by one using Mandriva's Configure Media Sources
> package, usually only one media source is causing the issue which can
> be worked around by re-adding the same media from a different mirror.
> If you do that, Smart works for a while (days) before the same issue
> crops up again.
I found that even if I forced the Mandriva media to a particular mirror
for free, non-free, contrib and main and left the plf channels on the
mirrorlist settings I still got the error on the file in question from
the statically configured mirror, irrespective of which mirror I used.
>> The other thing I should also mention is that the urpmisync branch does
>> not appear to get the xml failure before it gets the mirror sync issue.
> What's then sync issue - don't recall that happening?
The urpmisync issue I had (its been a while since I tried this so the
files may have been updated since the error) was that when I did a
channel sync, the urpmisync version of smart started downloading the
synthesis files from every mirror in the mirror list with its progress
indicators going well past 100%. I was doing the sync from the cli
rather than the gui.

regards,
Steve