Smart has been added to the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 00:22:24 PDT 2010

Hi Anders

I can't find an easy way to disable RedHat, Debian and Slackware support at

>  build-time.  Since Smart demands the RPM Python module, I'm forced to
>> include the 'rpm' package as a dependency.  It's nonsensical that RPM
>> should
>> be required by a package management GUI on Arch Linux systems.
>>
>> Can you please modify the 'Makefile' to include functions like
>> "disable-redhat" or "install-arch"?  This would allow users to install
>> only
>> the channels and backends that they plan to use on their systems.  Of
>> course, you'd need to adjust the python code to allow for this modularised
>> approach.
>>

> I didn't see any post to the mailing list, but the easiest way

to avoid the python-rpm requirement is to either patch out the
> inclusion of the rpm module or avoid loading it through config
> (e.g. set detect-sys-channels to "arch", in your distro.py ?)
>
> The smart Makefile doesn't do much besides call setup.py, and
> python distutils isn't as much for customization as ./configure.
> But smart itself doesn't demand installing channels/backends,
> or using the RPM Python module, even if it does it by default...

I just set "detect_sys_channels = "arch"" in "smart/plugins/detectsys.py",
but I'm still getting that shitty "'rpm' python module is not available"
error message and 'smart' refuses to continue.  I just removed "import rpm"
from "smart/backends/rpm/base.py", but doing so only caused other Python
errors at runtime.

Anyway, you shouldn't expect me to search through the code.  This
information needs to be clearly detailed in the 'README' file, or potential
users will be turned away.  If you can't be bothered implementing this
disabling feature properly, please at least take the time to explain exactly
what I need to 'sed' out.  Remember that this is for the benefit of other
Arch Linux users, as I am the 'smart'
package<http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24655>maintainer in
the AUR.