Smart has been added to the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Oct 15 00:43:40 PDT 2010

Xavion wrote:

>> I didn't see any post to the mailing list, but the easiest way
>> to avoid the python-rpm requirement is to either patch out the
>> inclusion of the rpm module or avoid loading it through config
>> (e.g. set detect-sys-channels to "arch", in your distro.py ?)
>>
>> The smart Makefile doesn't do much besides call setup.py, and
>> python distutils isn't as much for customization as ./configure.
>> But smart itself doesn't demand installing channels/backends,

> I just set "detect_sys_channels = "arch"" in "smart/plugins/
> detectsys.py",
> but I'm still getting that shitty "'rpm' python module is not
> available"
> error message and 'smart' refuses to continue.  I just removed
> "import rpm"
> from "smart/backends/rpm/base.py", but doing so only caused other
> Python
> errors at runtime.

Okay, when I said "patch out" I probably meant to say delete the
rpm backend and channels, or put them in a sub-package if possible.
Otherwise smart will still try to load them all when it starts up,
as you can see from the traceback (when run with --log-level=debug).

> Anyway, you shouldn't expect me to search through the code.  This
> information needs to be clearly detailed in the 'README' file, or
> potential
> users will be turned away.  If you can't be bothered implementing this
> disabling feature properly, please at least take the time to
> explain exactly
> what I need to 'sed' out.  Remember that this is for the benefit of
> other
> Arch Linux users, as I am the 'smart'
> package<http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24655>maintainer in
> the AUR.

I don't (require you to read code), just recall Slackware having the
same "problem" and fixing it. Will have to probe what the "fix" was,
even if it requires installing Arch Linux and/or Slackware again...
But the rpm python module is only required for the rpm smart backend.