A question about bundling smart with our distribution

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Sep 6 13:00:34 PDT 2010

Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> I'm one of the team members of the Belenix Distro (www.belenix.org).
> We are presently using the SVR4 package format, and have wanted to
> move to a more modern day package format.

The .pkg and .7z formats are available too, if you need them...
It was added after discussion with other OpenSolaris community:

https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/pkg

There was also a branch with some generic Solaris fixes, like
broken file locking and such as discovered by OSUnix/StormOS:

https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/solaris

But I guess neither project went ahead with Smart at the time,
and Belenix was developing a custom package manager I think ?

So we only added basic Nexenta support, with --ignore-locks.
If you want to help test/support real Solaris support, great!

> We are very likely to use rpm5 as our package system :) We intend to
> bundle both yum and smart, and will leave it to our users as to which
> tool they'd like to use.
>
> Our question:
> Would you be OK with us using the smart given that most of the system
> libraries on our distro are CDDL licensed ?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Smart is freely available
under the GPLv2+ license. It works fine with rpm5 as the backend.

Currently Smart 1.4 is under finalizing, but the Solaris support
could be merged in for the next release (Smart 1.5) perhaps... ?