A question about bundling smart with our distribution

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Mon Sep 6 13:29:15 PDT 2010

Hi:

We're considering using rpm5 as our package system, with smart as the frontend.

Moinak (CCd) had developed spkg as a stop gap arrangement till we
figured out what to do next. We find IPS infeasible in low-bandwidth
countries, and we wanted to move away from SVR4 to something that's
more widely known.

We have been apprehensive about package manager licensing ever since
Debian Legal disliked how Nexenta modified and used dpkg (even though
they wanted to conteibute back the source). Debian Legal's concerns
were about Nexenta's dpkg linking with a non-GPL libc. There is once
again a discussion thread about this on this month's Debian Legal
mailing list.

No one on the Belenix team is a lawyer, and we've all got day jobs
where we do something else.

So, we thought that the best thing to do is to simply ask on the smart
mailing list whether you are OK with us building, linking and
distributing smart code along with non-GPLd (yet opensource)
libraries.

-- Sriram

--
Sent from my mobile device