Still unable to use Smart with Mandriva

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Fri Aug 5 04:37:39 PDT 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> As far as I know, Mandriva 2011.0 is not released and there is nobody working on developing/testing Smart 1.4 on it.
>> 2011.0 is at RC2 at the moment I believe, but they have released it into repositories in directory 'Official' which is causing some misconceptions on what it actually is. They have also update the version of smart in their 2011 repository to 1.4 but it doesn't work because of the old problem of trying to process a cz compressed file as a standard xml file.

The naming on mirrors is due to the M&M split. In the past, Cooker was branched
to form a relase. For 2011, the branching had to be done earlier, but also fit
into the traditional hierarchical naming. This leads to a certain awkwardness
dictated by circumstances.

> Is this the real smart 1.4, or the "mandriva" branch ?

How serious is the divergence?

> Previously Mandriva have been using their own fork,
> which had some issues like the one you are describing...
> I merged the applicable code, and added some workarounds
> for where it had a LZMA / XZ file as a .xml, and so on.

Resurrecting smart as a depsolver under mock for Unity is almost certainly going
to be attempted within the next 30-60 days.

And I will be undertaking to try to smooth out the extra '-' added
to package file names as a result of Distepoch: and Disttag:.

There are only two resolutions:
	Keep the '-' in %___NVRA.
	Remove the '-' in %___NVRA

I'm inclined to removal (and I'm pretty sure that I can write code
to have its BOTH ways as while transitioning).

There's pending refactoring in RPM that is log jammed on the keep/remove decision.
A two-tailed coin will be flipped if I must pretend at "Have it your own way!" choice.

73 de Jeff