Newbie question with Smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Jul 22 03:44:36 PDT 2011

Sriram Narayanan:

> Hi everyone:

Hello.

> I'm using smart 1.4 on an opensolaris based platform.
>
> I've created a repository which has just one rpm registered with it (git 1.7.6).

There were more opensolaris users here a couple of years ago,
but I don't think anyone is using smart with it at the moment ?

As far as I know, most was working before their switch to .deb,
as tested with Nexenta and Belenix 0.7 (including SVR4 packages).

> I've installed smart after applying a Solaris specific patch given
> here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/345326).

The patch given is bogus (only disables locks, which can be
done through config if needed) - but the issue is real enough.

A better fix can be found in the "solaris" experimental branch:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/solaris/revision/858

> I've added a channel, and am able to run an update, but I'm unable to
> install the package. What should I investigate ?

You should look into that "rpm.archscore" returns something
for the package. Otherwise it won't be added to the channel:

$ python
>>> import rpm
>>> rpm.archscore("i86pc")
0

If you are running rpm5, you need to set up /etc/rpm/platform
since that is what it is using to determine platform "score":

rpm --eval "%{_arch}-%{_vendor}-%{_os}%{?_gnu}"
# See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/587448