Newbie question with Smart

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Sat Jul 23 12:11:56 PDT 2011

Hi Anders, thanks for the tips. I got this working now.

I had to place "i86pc-pc-Solaris" in /etc/rpm/platform (I'm using a 32
bit build for the time being).

I also had to place /etc/rpm/macros and customize the following:
%_arch                  i86pc
%_build_arch          i86pc
%_vendor               pc
%_os                     Solaris

Please find my responses inline.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:
> Sriram Narayanan:
>
>> Hi everyone:
>
> Hello.
>
>> I'm using smart 1.4 on an opensolaris based platform.
>>
>> I've created a repository which has just one rpm registered with it (git 1.7.6).
>
> There were more opensolaris users here a couple of years ago,
> but I don't think anyone is using smart with it at the moment ?
>
> As far as I know, most was working before their switch to .deb,
> as tested with Nexenta and Belenix 0.7 (including SVR4 packages).

I think that some persons from the osunix group (perhaps estibi) may
have tried this out.

>> I've installed smart after applying a Solaris specific patch given
>> here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/345326).
>
> The patch given is bogus (only disables locks, which can be
> done through config if needed) - but the issue is real enough.
>
> A better fix can be found in the "solaris" experimental branch:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/solaris/revision/858

I've applied this but forgot to mention it.

>> I've added a channel, and am able to run an update, but I'm unable to
>> install the package. What should I investigate ?
>
> You should look into that "rpm.archscore" returns something
> for the package. Otherwise it won't be added to the channel:
>
> $ python
> 0

Yes, I get this very output, but I don't know what it means. I need to
study rpm internals and read the docs better!

> If you are running rpm5, you need to set up /etc/rpm/platform
> since that is what it is using to determine platform "score":
>
> rpm --eval "%{_arch}-%{_vendor}-%{_os}%{?_gnu}"
> # See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/587448

As noted above:

I had to place "i86pc-pc-Solaris" in /etc/rpm/platform (I'm using a 32
bit build for the time being).

I also had to place /etc/rpm/macros and customize the following:
%_arch                  i86pc
%_build_arch          i86pc
%_vendor               pc
%_os                     Solaris