Fwd: Smart 1.4.1 Usage in Fedora 17

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 14 14:05:32 PST 2013

On 01/14/2013 03:41 PM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: *Jeffrey Johnson <n3npq at me.com <mailto:n3npq at me.com>>
>> *Subject: **Re: Smart 1.4.1 Usage in Fedora 17*
>> *Date: *January 13, 2013 11:40:35 PM EST
>> *To: *Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com
>> <mailto:mark.hatle at windriver.com>>
>> *Cc: *smart at lists.labix.org <mailto:smart at lists.labix.org>

>>> As far as I know, Smart does not support deltarpms at this point.
>>>  I'd love it if someone has implemented it though...
>>>

>> Delatapms explode entire *.rpm packages in order to do delatfication
>> with minimal entropy (and maximum bandwidth reduction from
>> deltafication).
>>
>> The cost of reconstructing a *.rpm from the bits-and-pieces
>> (including recompression)
>> is CPU intensive on the client.
So far for me this is not an issue. I'm running an AMD FX 8350 4 GHz 8
core cpu which seems to be able to handle everything I've done so far
with minimal effort.

>> There is also the combinatorial failure keeping track of all possible
>> "upgrade" starting
>> points.
 From what I have seen so far there seems to be only 1 delta version
kept for updates, and if the version that is installed doesn't match the
version the delta is designed to update then yum downloads the full rpm
as an update, either that or Fedora packages programs that need to be
installed (maybe as a result of dependencies) in the updates repository
rather than their base repository. But either way, given that I have a
download limit on my plan, if I can't get the packages from my isp
(because they are older than what is available via the mirror list)
which are free, then I want to minimise as much as possible the
bandwidth used to download the packages, so from my perspective deltas
are ideal.

regards,
Steve