Smart 1.4.1 Hangs When Large Numbers of new Packages

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat Jun 21 01:19:17 PDT 2014

On 06/19/2014 05:05 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Stephen Morris wrote:
>
>>      I occasionally have issues with smart whereby when I have anywhere between 300 - 2200+ new packages in channels, smart's calculation of what needs to be updated/installed when issuing "smart upgrade" appears to never finish. I have been in the situation where I have left the calculation running for more than an hour without it finishing. In these situations I have to use the native Fedora 20 package manager to do the update, which invariably displays the packages to update almost immediately. This issue is not unique to Fedora 20, I have had this issue with every version of Fedora from Fedora 18 plus I have had this issue with multiple versions of smart up to 1.4.1 under Mandriva when I was using it.
>>      Has anybody else seen this sort of issue?
> I'm not sure if smart is very good at handling the large number of packages that Fedora have in one channel, at least the channels that I was using with CentOS had lots fewer available. Keeping the "database" in memory isn't really feasible, and it really starts to hurt when starting and stopping a lot (like for instance PackageKit is doing).
>
> repo id                        repo name                                  status
> fedora/20/x86_64               Fedora 20 - x86_64                         38597
> updates/20/x86_64              Fedora 20 - x86_64 - Updates               16359
> repolist: 54956
>

> That being said, could you try the "upcoming" branch to see if it helps anything ?
>
> https://github.com/smartpm/smart/tree/upcoming
Hi Anders,
      I have downloaded, built and installed that version of smart and
run a smart upgrade, which said there were 561 new packages in channels.
I then did a smart upgrade which has been trying to build its
transaction for the last 2 hours and is still going. I guess I'll have
to use dnf to do the upgrade and then use smart after the upgrade.

regards,
Steve