Smart 1.4.1 Hangs When Large Numbers of new Packages

Pavel Nemec nemecp4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 21:05:35 PDT 2014

Exactly same issue on RH4, 5 an 6.

I have suspicion that dep. solver can't handle multiple provides of file based dependencies. But it might be just hunch.
Thidney

      I occasionally have issues with smart whereby when I have anywhere
between 300 - 2200+ new packages in channels, smart's calculation of
what needs to be updated/installed when issuing "smart upgrade" appears
to never finish. I have been in the situation where I have left the
calculation running for more than an hour without it finishing. In these
situations I have to use the native Fedora 20 package manager to do the
update, which invariably displays the packages to update almost
immediately. This issue is not unique to Fedora 20, I have had this
issue with every version of Fedora from Fedora 18 plus I have had this
issue with multiple versions of smart up to 1.4.1 under Mandriva when I
was using it.
      Has anybody else seen this sort of issue?

regards,
Steve