Anyone still using smart ?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Aug 11 08:24:58 PDT 2016

On 8/11/16 10:11 AM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

>> On Aug 11, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com
>> <mailto:mark.hatle at windriver.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/11/16 9:35 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Is there anyone or any distribution still using smart for their package
>>> management ?
>>> I haven't really myself, since 2011 (almost 5 years!) with the smart-1.4.1
>>> release.
>>>
>>> http://labix.org/smart
>>> https://launchpad.net/smart
>>>
>>> We did do the smart-1.5 release on github, with the patches from the Yocto
>>> project.
>>> But I don't have access to the labix.org page, so it is only available on GitHub.
>>>
>>> http://smartpm.github.io/smart
>>> https://github.com/smartpm/smart
>>>

>>> With the dnf and the apt, is there still need for smart ? Not sure that I see
>>> it...
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceYumWithDNF
>>> https://mvogt.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/apt-1-0/ (apt 1.0)
>>>
>>> I have mostly received requests to redo the whole thing in Py3 or Qt4, to no
>>> effect.
>>> (i.e. it was ported from python to python3, or from gtk to qt4. but still the
>>> same)
>>>
>>> Should we keep the project alive ? Does anyone want to take over the
>>> maintenance ?
>>
>> We are still using smart in the Yocto Project.  We are starting to look into
>> DNF, but it won't happen before spring of next year... If the requirements or
>> integration w/ RPM5 are too difficult, we will be sticking with smart until we
>> find a replacement.
>>

> Using DNF is feasible, just the issues are similar to smart vis-a-vis Py3 or Qt4:
>
> Ports aren’t all that exciting, particularly when the result resembles Frankenstein.
>
>> Frankly smart works, and works well for our embedded use cases... so we've got
>> more important pieces to work through first.  (Transition to Python3 is what is
>> driving the look into DNF and others.)
>>

> What is the issue with Python3 porting? Does the tool that claims to automate
> python2 -> python3 not work that well?

We need someone to go through and verify it works after running through such a
tool... and then we've still got a support and 'marketing' problem.  Support
being we've got limited resources to keep things running going forward.  (There
are about 4 or 5 of us, each part time, keeping smartpm [and the YP build
system] working with the Yocto Project use cases.)  The marketing problem is
'but everyone else uses XYZ, why don't you?!'.

--Mark