Anyone still using smart ?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Aug 11 08:07:08 PDT 2016

On 8/11/16 9:35 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there anyone or any distribution still using smart for their package management ?
> I haven't really myself, since 2011 (almost 5 years!) with the smart-1.4.1 release.
>
> http://labix.org/smart
> https://launchpad.net/smart
>
> We did do the smart-1.5 release on github, with the patches from the Yocto project.
> But I don't have access to the labix.org page, so it is only available on GitHub.
>
> http://smartpm.github.io/smart
> https://github.com/smartpm/smart
>

> With the dnf and the apt, is there still need for smart ? Not sure that I see it...
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceYumWithDNF
> https://mvogt.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/apt-1-0/ (apt 1.0)
>
> I have mostly received requests to redo the whole thing in Py3 or Qt4, to no effect.
> (i.e. it was ported from python to python3, or from gtk to qt4. but still the same)
>
> Should we keep the project alive ? Does anyone want to take over the maintenance ?

We are still using smart in the Yocto Project.  We are starting to look into
DNF, but it won't happen before spring of next year... If the requirements or
integration w/ RPM5 are too difficult, we will be sticking with smart until we
find a replacement.

Frankly smart works, and works well for our embedded use cases... so we've got
more important pieces to work through first.  (Transition to Python3 is what is
driving the look into DNF and others.)

--Mark