Anyone still using smart ?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Aug 11 08:52:28 PDT 2016

Radovan Prodanovic wrote:

> Anders,
>
> WindRiverLinux (WRL) is using and supports smart PM.
>
> WindRiver is a major contributor to Yocto project.
>
> WRL also includes apt and opkg, as well as rpm.
>
> WRL does not officially package/support dnf though.
>
> I was planning to use the smart PM in WRL. Are you suggesting I should not?

If it works for you (as it is), then by all means continue to use it :-)

I am mostly using CentOS and Ubuntu, and they are moving away from it...
So my question was for the "upstream" project of Smart for every distro,
rather than about any "downstream" usage in any particular distribution.
Not sure what opkg is, but guessing* that it is something for embedded ?

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipkg
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opkg

I have only used the "arch" backend (pacman), rather than any of these 2.
Well, besides the usual rpm and dpkg and the (now defunct) slack that is.

Either way, the rpm (with python) is well known and "supported" with 1.5.
I am not aware of what the problems or the roadmap is, with WRL and Smart.

Patches welcome.

https://github.com/smartpm/smart/pulls