Oh heck :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 24 01:15:17 PDT 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
> smart just got upgraded and now it doesn't function: the upgrades did
> not complete and the smarttray icon is showing that there are upgrades
> pending but when I try to activate smart it just disappears off the
> screen :-( . Starting smartmanager and after updating the channels the
> smart menu disappears from the screen as soon as I select to perform the
> upgrades.
>
> What is necessary to be done to get smart back to normality?
>
> Cheers.

I'll know in a minute or so but I think the problem is fixed.

All the packages which smart states are ready to be upgraded have been,
in fact, already downloaded and sitting in /var/lib/smart/packages and
so when smart goes to upgrade them it just terminates and vanishes off
the screen.

(Why should it do this?)

The fix I did was to rename /var/lib/packages to ..../packages.old and
smart then started to upgrade the packages in its list.

STOP PRESS. Doing this has not solved the problem. All the packages have
been again downloaded and placed in the newly created /packages
directory -- and smart is still claiming that there are upgrades pending
:-( .

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1