Oh heck :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 24 06:41:54 PDT 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> smart just got upgraded and now it doesn't function: the upgrades did
>>> not complete and the smarttray icon is showing that there are
>>> upgrades pending but when I try to activate smart it just disappears
>>> off the screen :-( . Starting smartmanager and after updating the
>>> channels the smart menu disappears from the screen as soon as I
>>> select to perform the upgrades.
>>>
>>> What is necessary to be done to get smart back to normality?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>
>> I'll know in a minute or so but I think the problem is fixed.
>>
>> All the packages which smart states are ready to be upgraded have
>> been, in fact, already downloaded and sitting in
>> /var/lib/smart/packages and so when smart goes to upgrade them it just
>> terminates and vanishes off the screen.
>>
>> (Why should it do this?)
>>
>> The fix I did was to rename /var/lib/packages to ..../packages.old and
>> smart then started to upgrade the packages in its list.
>>
>> STOP PRESS. Doing this has not solved the problem. All the packages
>> have been again downloaded and placed in the newly created /packages
>> directory -- and smart is still claiming that there are upgrades
>> pending :-( .
>
> Further to the above, the packages involved are:
>
> amarok
> amarok-xine
> libmtp
> libtunepimp-faad2
> libtunepimp-mad
> smart
> smart-addons
> smart-gui
> smart-ksmarttray
>
> When I attempt to "install" them with rpm -Uvh *.rpm --test, I get the
> error message "Segmentation fault".
>
> Separating the 4 smart packages from the others and doing the ....--test
> "install" on them also produces the same error message.

The above problem is still in effect. By doing an update of the channels
I also (now) get an error message:

Failed acquiring information for 'Current KDE applications':
http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE%3A/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
Invalid SHA (expected dcce21fcd4ddd462390007f7688d8dadacca194e, got
2e46594a18591af151e9e40d5c5f1ff2db636f01)

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1