[issue197] Smart Fails on Segmentation Faults

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Fri Aug 25 03:02:57 PDT 2006

Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Gustavo Niemeyer at Labix Tracker wrote:
>>> Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> added the comment:
>>>
>>> This looks like a problem during the rpm transaction inside librpm
>>> (which doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem *in* rpm). Can you
>>> please try to execute the command again, and then try the rpm
>>> command by hand [1] to see if the same problem happens?
>>>
>>> [1] rpm -Uvh /var/lib/smart/packages/*.rpm
>>>
>>> ----------
>>> nosy: +niemeyer
>>> status: unread -> chatting
>>>
>> The smart 42.9 package for SUSE is broken and produces the Segmentation
>> Fault. The real concern here I think would  be that just because Smart
>> is broken it causes ALL packages downloaded with it to "collapse" and
>> not be installed.
>
> That's my package and it is not broken.
> Works great here (upgraded over 400MB of packages with it) and I've only
> had good feedback.
>
>> I was able to install individually the other rpms which were downloaded
>> with smart but when I tried to install the smart rpms (42.9) the process
>> collapsed with the Segmentation Fault.
>
> What the .... are you talking about ?

It's all very .... simple.

> I would really like to know what makes you think my smart-0.42-9 package
> is broken.

Smart 4.28 downloaded a number of packages as upgrades, including the 4
new (4.29) smart packages.

When smart 4.28 went to actually install all the packages, smart just
vanished off the screen and nothing was upgraded.

(Are you with me so far?)

I renamed/deleted /var/lib/smart/channels and .../packages directories,
updated the channels and selected to upgrade the packages and these were
downloaded again- but when smart 4.28 went to actually upgrade them,
smart just disappeared off the screen and nothing was upgraded.

I did this several times with the same results.

I then went in as root into the /var/lib/smart/packages directory and
did rpm -Uvh <name>.rpm --test against each package and found that I
could install all of them, EXCEPT the 4 smart 4.29 packages (which have
to be installed as a group of 4 and could not be installed individually
unless I forced the install by ignoring the dependencies since they all
depend on each other).

All were installed EXCEPT the 4 smart 4.29 packages which gave an error
message of 'Segmentation Fault'.

(Still with me?)

If all other packages where installed manually without a problem but the
4 smart 4.29 packages do not get installed but generate an error message
of 'Segmentation Fault' I would say that I have a reasonable
justification to come to the conclusion that the 4.29 smart packages are
broken.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1