Smart upgrade extremely slow (or hangs)

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat Sep 1 18:24:45 PDT 2007

Frederik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from Mandriva 2007.1 to Cooker using Smart 0.51.
> I guess this involves installation of about 1000 RPM packages. Now
> when I run smart upgrade, smart starts using 100% of CPU time and
> seems to hang at the "computing transactions" step. After it had used
> 30 mins of CPU time, I decided to kill smart, as that does not seem
> normal to me. I tried disable psyco, but this did not change anything.
> The machine is a P4 1,7 Ghz with 384 MB RAM.
>
> Is this expected behaviour? How can I further debug this, to find out
> what is happening?

Frederic,
    I had the same problem on my machine, minus the 100% cpu. I left it
running for 2 hours before canning it. I was performing a normal cooker
"2008" upgrade which wanted to upgrade 298 packages. My machine is an
Athlon XP 2400+ with 1 GB of  RAM. I found that when I installed 1 or 2
packages with their dependencies, and then trying the full upgrade again
(albeit a day later) the process worked fine. It has also not
re-occurred even when yesterday, I did a full upgrade having not looked
at cooker for 4 or 5 days, which wanted to install 1898 packages, this
process ran quite happily. This process was undertaken using a stepped
upgrade via a shell. The only problem I had was a couple of times the
process stopped because of package conflicts, which when I restarted the
process, did not reoccur, right up to the point of where a full upgrade
said there is noting to upgrade. So what I don't know at the moment is
whether the offending packages were fixed behind the scenes or whether
smart decided to not install them.

regards,
Steve Morris