what is the best choice: smart, apt-rpm or yum

ho thanh hai haiht.tsdv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:03:31 PST 2008

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> ho thanh hai wrote:
>
>> I am now studying in update tools for a rpm system (similar to
>> CentOS). Our team focus in:  yum, apt-rpm and smart. You can give us
>> some advices (which we should chose for our system).
>
> I've also been using all three on my development systems (Fedora or
> CentOS), since there is always some feature that I'm missing from the
> older systems that isn't yet available in the newer ones...
>
> They can all share the same metadata (createrepo), so that should make
> it easier for you to determine which tool you are most comfortable
> with using ? I moved from RPM to APT to Yum to Smart, myself.
>
> --anders

After a time using all three tools in my CentOS 4.5, I appreciate Smart
with high speed in downloading, installing and removing (faster than the
others). Smart also have some features outperform apt and yum (in
upgrade, force-channel install for examples).
But I still confuse with the memory usage problem. I know that Smart
using Psyco module to speed up but this module uses a lot of memory. In
case we want to use Smart in system which have a lack of memory (run
embedded linux for example), can Smart run in high speed like in CentOS ?

Hai HT.