future of smart

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:28:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 00:14 -0700, Grant McWilliams wrote:
> >
> >         The fact that I get these loops is actually a feature.  If
> >         Smart were as incapable as any other PM available (not
> >         including Apt, btw) then I'd not have loops.  I'd have
> >         instead, what I had before Smart,  unresolvable updates that
> >         could only be resolved by downloading specific packages,
> >         issuing rpm -e (sometimes even with nodeps), etc.
> >
> >         very very glad to have it, no matter what the toolkit  ;)
> >         --
> >         Richard Hendershot <rshendershot at mchsi.com>
> >
> > The problem is I have several hundred airplane mechanics using Smart
> > that don't understand why it's "broken". These folks like to submit
> > tech support tickets when something doesn't work. Let's face it if
> > something isn't functional (never stop upgrading/downgrading) then in
> > most peoples eyes it's dysfunctional no matter what the reason. My
> > standard answer now is "wait and try it tomorrow". Unfortunately these
> > machines are transient and travel all over the world so there may only
> > be a limited number of times where they have the opportunity to update
> > all their packages.
>
> Again, this is a problem with whatever repos you are using.  I strongly
> suspect this problem to be intractable from the package manager's side
> of things (how can it possibly decide which to use?).  You should report
> the packages in question to whatever repo is providing them.
>
> Cliff

I'm sure it is a problem with the repo or packages that were submitted to
it.  What about
having it keep a state though? If you've approved of a downgrade because of
a forced dependency
then don't prompt to upgrade that particular package again if it forces
another package to downgrade.

That way if an upgrade of one package downgrades another you wouldn't get
prompted to downgrade the
very same package you just upgraded. Of course you'd still have the option
of manually upgrading packages
if that upgrade forced a downgrade. Just thinking out loud.

Grant