future of smart

Richard Hendershot rshendershot at mchsi.com
Thu Jun 12 05:17:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 01:28 -0700, Grant McWilliams wrote:

> If you've approved of a downgrade because of a forced dependency
> then don't prompt to upgrade that particular package again if it
> forces another package to downgrade.

For pm_utils and mplayer I found a lot of conflict.  I locked the
installed and tested versions.  No more conflict.  This required me to
be aware of updates and manage the lock.  But I prefer that to having
smart make choices about what can and cannot be done.  I review its
actions looking for uninstall, upgrade and downgrade actions.  I know
that an uninstall or downgrade means I need to look more closely at the
packages being considered.  The resolution is nearly always disabling
third-party repos while I let Smart do the correct thing for the core
repos.  When I re-enable the third-party repos and look at the packages
under consideration it's almost always very clear what is going on.

Sometimes the package has incorrect dependencies.  Then I have to lock
what *I* consider the correct packages.

Not something 'Grandma' can do, but along with power comes
responsibility.

--
Richard Hendershot <rshendershot at mchsi.com>