Smart needs some testing

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Dec 9 00:57:59 PST 2010

Antenore Gatta wrote:

> Hello Anders,
>
> Find below a an initial test report, let me know if you need a bug
> report in LP (I don't have too much time to verify the existence of a
> bug)

I think the issues are "known", but thanks for your input.

The TODO is: https://launchpad.net/smart/+milestone/1.4.1

> 1) Update Channels
>
> - Crash (abort) with the following trace:
>
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> python: xcb_io.c:183: process_responses: Assertion `!(req &&
> current_request && !(((long) (req->sequence) - (long)
> (current_request)) <= 0))' failed.
> Aborted

I've added https://code.launchpad.net/~smartpm/smart/qt4
for this and other Qt4 bugs, but haven't fixed any yet...

I'm pretty sure that this "used to work" in older Qt4,
so maybe it has gotten less thread-safe since then ?

> 2) Seach
>
> - OK, no issues found

I've gotten some feedback that the Automatic/Description
toogle is now a bit hard to find (it's under primary icon)

Then again it is also reported to run faster in this way,
which is somewhat strange since no changes were done... ;-)

> 3) Packages check-box (already reported).
>
> - It's possible to select the check-box outside the check-box it self.

Could be a feature, perhaps ? But I think it needs a custom Qt
rendering widget and not the "built-in" checkbox, mostly since
the current one looks awful in tree mode (column too wide...)
Two other widgets needed are the searchbar and the subprogress.

> root at tbow # python smart.py --gui
>
> 1) Update Channels
>
> - OK, "Operation Progress" is back (was disappeared in the last
> release, thought was my issue).

It is sorta back, but using a rather horrible workaround...
Sadly, to be fixed Progress needs to be totally rewritten.

> 2) Separate groups
>
> - Great! Really good job

You'll find that it also shows the number of packages now.

One future feature would be to add translations and icons,
but those would be need to provided by the vendor somehow ?

Currently, we're just showing the raw package data there.

> OK. No issues found. Too big in large screens, see
> http://imagebin.org/127050 for a screenshot
> (maybe a spacer at the end would solve?).

You can fill some of that extra space with the extra columns,
like showing package size and description besides name/version.

The extra space for the search entry comes in handy for complex
queries (like in Google), but I guess a resizer couldn't hurt ?

> root at tbow # python smart.py update
>
> - Doesn't work with my setup, it takes ages (maybe forever) to
> calculate the dependencies (already reported).
>
> IMHO this should be fixed, a change of release should not make smart unusable.
> I'm obliged to use zypper, that uses a different mechanism to solve
> dependencies, but zypper doesn't solve correctly certain dependencies
> (smart yes).

If I'm reading this correctly, it worked OK in Smart 1.2/1.3
but does not with Smart 1.4 ? If so, that is indeed trouble.

> To conclude, GREAT JOB!

Thank you!

If I can merge Qt4, Mandriva and Applet/Tray, it's a release.
Would be nice to fix some pycurl/depsolve issues too, but....

Bugfixes can come in a minor release.

> All the additional information added, the icons legend, the reference
> url makes Smart the most usable PM i used so far.
>
> The only big issue I found, is the computational time needed to solve
> dependencies in case of major changes  (i.e. all new repositories).

Yeah, this is probably the biggest and baddest "bug" present:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/245344

And no, the suggested patch/workaround there doesn't "fix" it.
It's more adding an arbitrary "cut-off point", than helping.

> I need to be focused for a better test, let me know what you would
> like to be fully tested in particular, I'll try...

This time I was more interested in general interface issues...
The more specific things needing testing was Mandriva support.